Educational News & Resources
About This Page
The safety of students at all of Utah's educational institutions is of paramount importance. The COVID-19 outbreak is of particular concern and we are taking every measure to prevent the spread of the virus among our students, teachers, and families.
This page will serve as a general resource for Utah's public schools, colleges and universities, and private schools. Information and updates on specific schools are provided by school administration or local districts. Guidance for school closures and dismissals
Latest: Public Schools
Utah schools are dismissed until May 1 in order to help prevent the spread of novel coronavirus in our communities.
The reason we are using the word ‘dismissal’ and not ‘closure’ is because a ‘dismissal’ allows for local options and opportunities. Our local districts and charters know their communities best and have been working with their local health departments to assess risk.
Funding will continue to all schools. Local school districts and charters are to develop plans to address the following issues:
- Child nutrition. Schools are to provide meals to students who need them. Especially for those students who rely on school meals. We imagine this turning into a ‘grab and go’ system, where it is needed.
- Continuing services for students with disabilities.
- One-on-one or small group tutoring, where it is needed.
- Continuing instruction. Schools will implement online instruction, off-line instruction, or a combination of both. If a school is already online, they should continue business as usual.
- Staggering pick-up of school work, books, or other items needed by students to take home for the 14-days, in order to increase social distancing. Schools should not direct kids to rush in and clear out their lockers.
- Utilize and pay all employees, regardless if their role is directly related to instruction.
The control remains with our local health officers to change this decision from a dismissal to a closure, if they feel the situation in the community develops further.
Latest: Higher Education
All USHE institutions are moving instruction online, as many courses as they can, and as quickly as they can, to prevent the spread of COVID-19. See each institution’s messaging for more information.
All public colleges and universities are currently posting updates on their websites:University of Utah
Utah State University
Salt Lake Community College
Weber State University
Utah Valley University
Snow College Southern Utah University
Dixie State University